Thursday, September 19, 2013

The Universal Language

Of all our inventions for mass communication, pictures still speak the most universally understood language- Walt Disney.

One of the most life changing experiences that I have had was the medical missions trip that I was blessed enough to go on this past spring break. Our team went to Nicaragua where we set up a medical clinic in the impoverished village of Tepeyac. Here, we got to be the doctors and diagnose the patients after listening to the symptoms and asking more in-depth questions. So while I learned a ton, that was not the most touching part of the trip. What impacted me the most was the heart of the people. We had lines and lines who brought their children long distances to get medicine because Advil and ibuprofen simply aren't available to them. As people on most mission trips say, I realized how blessed I was. But even more so, I was confirmed in my ambition to one be a doctor that might be able to make a lasting impression on lives like these rather than have a week clinic that can't address long term problems. 


However, I remember this trip not only through what I learned, but also through my pictures. These are near and dear to my heart. The girl in this picture was named Kelly, and for some reason, she took a liking to me. When I look at this picture, it brings back memories of that time, of how we played games like "London Bridges," how I completely wiped out on the path and she laughed at me, and just the pure joy of being able to spend time with kids who didn't get the attention I had my entire life. I think that leads well into the power that images can have. In this case, this image is powerful for me, an individual, but other photos are able to touch a whole audience.
Source 
A picture like this would touch many Americans as they remember what happened on September 11, 2001. Every year images such as these are played on repeat in order to remember. An image such as this is always taken in historical context as Sturken and Cartwright suggest in their chapter, "Images, Power, and Politics." When Americans see this, they not only think of those who died, but also of the war in Iraq and Afghanistan. They think of how terrorists became a real threat to the American public. They think of how this was the first major attack on American soil since that of Pearl Harbor. The context plays an important role in how Americans view this image because we are also seeing it from an American perspective. The site that I pulled this image from also contained a self-written poem titled Twin Towers, which is a prime example of the power of the image since Derec Jones was compelled enough to write his personal thoughts about it.
Source
Advertisements make use of images in a very compelling way. The one above is actually a public service announcement, but it really makes a statement by showing a fossil from the ocean that contains a plastic bag. When I first saw this image, I was struck by the fact that we do leave a lasting impact on our environment. I stopped to pause, to think about this, because this image showed the direct impact that humans have. And this, like actions, can be louder than words. I would say that an effective advertisement would be able to use an image and cause me to act upon it, i. e. go buy a product. So though this picture may not make me want to rally for clean oceans, it does cause me to be more conscientious of where I put my trash and how I treat the environment around me. Therefore, this is once again proves the power of the image.

Discussion Questions
How can the image be effectively used in the blogging community to make a point? Are pictures like the one above objective yet subjective at the same time? If not, where is the balance between presenting the image and how it is portrayed?

No comments:

Post a Comment