Monday, September 16, 2013

Redefining Journalism

So I was definitely one of the uninformed public that was under the impression that journalists were always trying to take an objective perspective while reporting the events. I believed that their whole purpose was to come across as unbiased to the public. After reading "Journalism of Verification," which Chapter 4 of Kovach and Rosentiel's book The Elements of Journalism, I have learned that their real purpose is to obtain and verify information objectively, but they do not have to write objectively at all. 

Methodology to Verification
Personally, I'm a very gullible person. I tend to always believe what people tell me, even if it's a bit ridiculous because I trust very easily, especially my friends. However, I have learned to question what I read in the media, which naturally means that I question what I read in the newspapers or hear on the news. Journalists want to present their audience with the truth that they have uncovered. And in order to this, they must have a method to ensure that the information they have is verifiable. I really liked this comparison to a methodology because I am a double major with biology, so I'm very methodical in how I go about my life. I usually have at least two To-Do lists running at once, I always make my bed the exact same way, and I have a routine that I follow strictly while getting ready for bed. I know these methods work for my lifestyle, so I stick to them. Therefore, this analogy really made sense for me. If reporters don't have a checklist to run through that clearly shows they are pulling information from a reliable source, then they may be selling something that is false.

Respect the Reader
I try to respect my readers by not boring you too badly. My life just really isn't that interesting, especially pertaining to digital communications. However, if you want a relevant anecdote, I did meet a cute boy in physics class today because I was incapable of connecting my iPhone to my email. 

So I acknowledged my lack of technological abilities and used them to my advantage. While I don't mean to offend any of you feminists out there, pretending to be inept (or actually being inept) at using technology is pretty good way to flirt. So there, I respect my readers by providing them with funny, engaging material. I really enjoyed the fact that this chapter pointed out that journalists should first and foremost respect their audience. They shouldn't deceive or hide anything, but rather should be as transparent as possible. I really like that idea because then not only do I trust the stories that I read from them, but I also want to continue to buy their news. 

Citizen Expectations
"What should citizens expect from the press as a reasonable discipline of reporting?" The authors posed this question as one left up to the reader. I'd like to leave that one for you as well. But I want to add on to it. What do we not tolerate from the press as a discipline of reporting? Are mockumentaries and docudramas still an acceptable form of journalism even though events are altered or modified? I think it is important that while information has become a commodity, the public still looks at it with a critical eye. Even though an information overload may be peppering the screen, are you still reading it with a grain of salt? 

No comments:

Post a Comment