Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Online Writing versus Printed Literature

Online Writing vs. Print Literature
The whole approach to online writing is different than that of print, namely, because the reader approaches the material differently. The writer's function remains the same- to communicate information in an organized manner- but the way they go about accomplishing this goal is different. Brian Carroll discusses this idea in chapters 2 and 3 of his book, Writing for Digital Media.

Credibility
From my personal experience, one major difference between online and printed material is that credibility has changed. For projects at school, teachers don't mind if a student uses a book as a cited source because that has been checked and approved by a publishing company. Since the author is published, they automatically have a significant amount of credibility. Online sources, however, may not be entirely credible because anyone has the ability to post whatever they would like, whether or not their words are true. In this case, the more transparent the website, the better I can understand where the information is coming from. 

Differences due to Changes in Credibility Perceptions
Transparency is a new phenomenon that I feel makes the Internet a more connected and interactive place than any other form of media. By being transparent, I can tell who you are, where you stand (meaning what your bias is), and where your sources come from (if you hyperlink to them as most websites do). From there, I can better judge if I trust your information, just as you are doing with what I'm writing. This idea of credibility encompasses other major changes in the media as well such as timeliness and immediacy, which may lead to less credibility as news sources rush to get information out. It also causes people to be more accountable because their actions and their reputation are being promoted throughout the digital world. Thus, I believe that credibility differences from print to online sources is the biggest change that society has experienced.

Writing Style
If credibility is the biggest change, then writing style may be close behind in my book. As previously stated, the audience expects something different when they come to read an online source. Rather than preparing to read a novel word-for-word and engage their brains with the material, an online reader is looking to scan, browse, and glance. The tone of online writing is different. People simply want to hear what needs to be said. Online news articles tend to do this best in my opinion. They lay out the facts and leave it at that. I, personally, appreciate this style because I get what I was looking for and don't have to sort through extraneous material. 

Visual Style
Visual style is also important, unlike many books. Online, text must be broken up, whether it be by headlines or bulleted lists. Readers eyes are looking for visual interests that help them to organize the material that they are reading. Under this category, simplicity falls as well. As a fellow reader, I know that if a website seems too complex or too busy, I'm turned away before I even begin. Aesthetics play a huge role in whether or not a website captures my attention. It must be clean, but I also prefer color.


No comments:

Post a Comment