Thursday, September 26, 2013

Sensory Overload

Communication Channels
One of the first things I learned in my communications classes here at Furman was how communication works. The basic idea is that an idea needs to be successfully transferred from one person to another.
As shown in the image above, the producer of the message had to make sure that they provided the receiver of the message with the proper tools in order to decode the message. While this specific instance is dealing with words, I think that this idea is applicable to the message of the chapter "Viewers Make Meaning" by Sturken and Cartwright. In this chapter, the authors discussed how every individual would decode an image differently using their own set of cultural and moral codes. Therefore, images that reach a mass audience are difficult to target towards an individual, but the hope is that enough of the audience is able to relate that somehow they can draw a meaning. Advertisers in particular hope that they eventually come to the conclusion that they want to buy the product. How can images that are directed at mass audiences still take an individualized approach?

Interpellation
In the chapter, "to interpellate" is defined "to interrupt a procedure in order to question someone or something formaly." Based on this description, I gathered that to be interpellated by images meant that I had a sensory overload by the image/s in front of me. The best example that I could imagine right now would be Pinterest.
 As displayed by this screen shot, the entire website is a collective of photos that are to be representative snapshots of either a product or a website. However, none of the pictures are necessarily remotely related to each other. On the site, a viewer does have the ability to go to specific boards that have categorized the "pins." But the homepage is a collage of pictures that pertain to many different topics. In my understanding of the concept, this would be interpellation because my mind is constantly interrupted by one image after another to decide whether I can pull meaning from it. I also really like this example because it shows that everyone truly does interpret images in their own way. For example, I could look at the green purse that one of my friends apparently thought was stylish and decided for myself whether or not I agree with that. If not, then I probably wouldn't repin it. Same goes for the food. If I decide that the spinach and artichoke pasta reminds me of my grandmother's recipe, then I am pulling meaning from past experience that others wouldn't have. Then, depending on whether or not I like my grandmother's spinach and artichoke pasta, I choose to make that recipe or not. 

Classy Taste
I would agree with the Sturken and Cartwright that the idea of having "taste" implies a higher social status that allows one to be educated and "cultured." They also say that culture is a evolving, growing process that is subject to change. Taking both of those points, I couldn't help but think of Duck Dynasty, the new-ish and popular show on A&E. Before this show, a still to a large extent, red-neck culture was classified as one that was not educated and that they did a lot of manual labor, hence the name. However, I believe that entire connotation of that name will never go away, Duck Dynasty is a show that is changing it. It shows other aspects of the country culture such as strong family values and an appreciation of nature. It may also help that these men are quite humorous. The image that they have made theirs is one of camouflage. Everywhere they go, they are wearing camouflage. If you have not yet experienced the new Duck Dynasty fad, here's a quick a preview. You can catch on Wednesdays at 10 EST on A&E. 

Granted, maybe it's my taste that isn't classy, but that's up for interpretation isn't it?

Appropriation
Towards the end of the chapter, Sturken and Cartwright refer to "cultural appropriation." This was defined as "the process of 'borrowing' and changing the meaning of cultural products, slogans, images, or elements of fashion." I immediately thought of the use of Uncle Sam as a slogan. While there is the traditional Uncle Sam image that recruits for the Army, many others have been made that are intended to recruit or encourage others to participate in some activity. In this way, the core meaning was used but the slogan was borrowed to promote something other than what that image was intended for. 

Source
And then, there's this:
Source
Is this an effective method of spreading other messages since a foundation meaning has already been set? 

As stated earlier, people interpret images and space differently, so I leave you with this final question. Do you see a duck or a rabbit?
Source



No comments:

Post a Comment