Monday, September 2, 2013

Composing Headlines and Blogging Etiquette

Hopefully, based off of the title for this post, you were able to gather what I would be writing about. Headlines are tools that an audience uses to be able to scan effectively and to pick reads that interest them. So thanks for being interested! 

Headlines
In the book, Writing for Digital Media, Brian Carroll addresses the idea of being able to write an effective headline. He says that headlines not only allow readers to choose what to read but also "help readers determine what not to read." I think that this is an excellent point because readers will skip over articles or posts that don't have engaging and informative titles. I, personally, enjoy writing puns or creative titles, but those usually obscure the information behind the article, and readers will gloss over this. After reading the chapter on "Headlines and Hypertexts," I realized that, with all the time that I spend on the Internet, I already knew most of how to write an effective headline simply based on experience. If I don't know what an article is about, I won't read it. If the headline is too small or hidden, I don't notice it. I realize the ease of having text broken down into sections that are easier to scan (Therefore, if you're here to read more about blogging etiquette, please easily continue to scan down to that section- it's conveniently labeled for you). Sometimes headlines can be difficult to write, but if your writing itself is focused enough, you should be able to use "the key-word method." In other words, think about the overarching content that you discuss and try to include those words in your title. 

Hypertexts
Hypertext is most commonly found in the form of hyperlinks. I've found that Wikipedia seems to make the most effective use of these. Not only can a reader find examples all three types of hyperlinks: embedded links, inline links, and anchors, but a reader's experience is enhanced by their use. For example, say that I wanted to look up what an anesthesiologist is, Wikipedia has a definition that is easily accessible. But as the article progresses, there are links to other pages that help provide various definitions that may benefit my comprehension of what an anesthesiologist is. Also, at the bottom, there are a list of external links for sources outside of Wikipedia that can enhance and enrich the experience. (Remember, though, that Wikipedia may not always be a reliable source even though it often gives a good base understanding). Hypertexts, too, I already knew a lot about from experience. I find myself incorporating hyperlinks by imitating how other sites present them. Carroll notes that hyperlinks should be distinct from the other writing so that readers can distinguish them, they should be consistently presented in the same way, and they should not disrupt the readers experience. I thought it was an interesting point that he discussed how these links were allowing us to get away from a linear way of reading and allowing us to bounce through mountains of material.

Blogging Etiquette
This was a topic that I was a little bit more unfamiliar with since I don't frequently read blogs and have never had one of my own. The general points that I picked up from Carroll's chapter, "Blogito, Ergo Sum," was to update frequently and to be as transparent as possible. Also, it is usually a good idea to follow your own code of ethics, which I had not really thought about. However, more people will trust you if you can show who you are, where you stand, and what your morals are. With trust comes credibility. Therefore, since my blog is an analysis of topics in digital communication, I will always try to provide links to any online sources and to reference the author and title if it is not. I want to promote interconnectivity and allow others to form their own opinions of what I have addressed. 
The book I have been pulling from is available online for a price, so you can read Writing for Digital Media as well if you decide to purchase it.

No comments:

Post a Comment